Grades 3 - 9
(July 15th – 28th, 2018 / 2 weeks)
Why choose CAPSTONE STEM Camp?
- STEM Camp offers exciting, engaging and inquiry based laboratory experiences from highly-qualified teachers.
- STEM Camp offers opportunities to explore Science, Technology, Engineering and Math in a fun and relaxed atmosphere.
- STEM Camp offers fun lessons that get students thinking.
- STEM Camp offers its unique one-on-one BUDDY SYSTEM to match international students with local American student. The American buddies can lead and share their experiences and help international students easily adapt to the local American school life.
STEM Specialized Concentrate Courses
Maker 101 (Grade 3-5)
Every child is a maker! Whether it as a future engineer or fashion designer, students engage in projects that foster imagination, problem solving, teamwork, as well as strengthen their skills and talents. Students will learn about and engage in design thinking as they prototype, test and redesign their projects in our brand new Maker Space. They not only learn the value of teamwork, they also learn to embrace the notion of "do-overs" as these lead to the refinement of a piece. Creativity and innovation are at the forefront as students navigate and celebrate the power of possibility.
Nature Camp (Grade 3-5)
Who doesn't relish a day in the woods or at a lake? Kids will learn all about bushcraft and the animals that live in nature around our schools and the amazing ways we coincide with nature. The Native American population of the Lenni Lenape survived using just the world around them, and our kids will learn their secrets of foraging and animal and plant identification.
Robotic Programming (Grade 3-5)
There is nothing like being able to say, "I programmed a robot!" That is exactly what students will learn. They will learn about programming as they program their own robotic spheres (spheros), humanoid robots, and even learn about how the high school students' program and control their large robots for Mount Olive Robotics Team!
The Science of Art (Grade 3-5)
Campers learn how science is used to create amazing art as they throw their own pots and watch how chemical reactions can create amazing art forms in nature.
Drone Building and Racing (Grade 6-9)
This exciting course teaches students how to construct and design their own quad-copter. Using special VR goggles, they can then race their drones in the first person as they learn to control and fly them up to 35 miles an hour! Sure to be an amazing experience that prepares them for a very real future of increased drone use!
Other Worlds: Virtual Reality, Microscopic & Beyond (Grade 6-9)
This exciting session shows how people are using virtual and augmented reality in the real world. From the Oculus Rift to making 360 dgree videos, campers will learn all about this exciting new technology! Additionally, they will learn about the microscopic world of protists to see how other worlds are not only digitally created, but actually are all around us.
The VEX Robotic Challenge (Grade 6-9)
Get ready for hands-on, minds-on! What a great way to expose students to STEAM education! Simple snap-together pieces allows students to collaborate and problem-solve as they, build, test, and tweak their robots. Students will then use their robots to compete with their peer's robots. From motors to the programming, the campers are in control. This course creates a fun, teamwork-driven environment as students learn how science, technology, engineering, art, and math are all interwoven with each other in the building of their VEX robots.
High Ropes Challenge Activity (Grade 6-9)
Zip lines, belaying off of walls, and more! This is the experience of a lifetime! Learn the physics of the high ropes course and the importance of teamwork! In this course, students are challenged to know more about themselves and their peers in a brand new way. They learn to trust themselves and their peers, problem solve collaboratively, build their creative drive, and encourage each other to take risks by climbing walls, jumping into space and flying across a zip line nearly 30 feet in the air! Experienced instructors guide students through every challenge that is guaranteed to give them a great time, as well as develop and invigorate their leadership and communication skills. The excitement and thrill are sure to keep you coming back for more!
Introducing Rock & Roll Summer Academy (Grade 9)
From beginners to advanced, we have it! Campers get to jam out as they learn how to play instruments in a band and run the sound and lighting for a major show. They will be able to learn cover band music, work the LED screen, control sound and lights in our 1700 seat performing arts center. The week ends with a live concert that the kids do on their own!
One-on-one BUDDY SYSTEM
- Matched with local American student
- Help adapt to the local American school life
- Build a globally minded community
- Improve English communication skills
- Easier for local and international students to come together
- Create lasting friendships
Home Away From Home
- Hand-selected American family: goes through a rigorous screening, background check, and interview
- Safe environment for the students to learn and grow
- Have his/her own room with a desk, space for personal belongings
- Well-balanced meals every day
- Practice and improve their English-speaking skills and learn the American way of life quickly and safely
- A Host Family is a cultural ambassador who becomes a student’s second family and helps him/her make new and lasting friendships.